Lorna Vanderhaeghe SLEEPsmart - 30 capsules
Used to ease insomnia, anxiety and nervous restlessness. Its medicinal use dates back to the second century AD. Valerian is a mild sedative believed to increase the levels of a chemical in the brain called GABA. GABA lowers the activity of some brain cells, inducing a relaxation effect. Benzodiazepine drugs including alprazolam (Xanax) and diazepam (Valium) also work using this principle. Studies have found valerian to be effective in treating sleep troubles, in reducing the time it takes to fall asleep and in improving sleep quality.
A sedative and calming agent, hops is another favorite in herbal medicine for relieving nervousness and improving sleep.
PassionflowerUsed to treat anxiety and insomnia. Its calming properties are well known. Like valerian, passionflower is believed to work by increasing GABA in the brain. Several studies have found passionflower to be effective in reducing the symptoms of anxiety.
ChamomileMedicinal use of chamomile dates back thousands of years. Studies support chamomile's main use as a calming agent and sleep aid. It also has ability to help relax muscle contractions, particularly in the smooth muscles of the intestines. For this reason, it is also used in herbal medicine to relieve mild digestive disturbances such as bloating and belching, as well as inflammatory conditions of the gastrointestinal tract.
MelatoninIdentified in 1958, is a hormone manufactured from serotonin (our feel good hormone) and secreted by the pineal gland. Melatonin is most well known for its ability to control our sleep-wake cycles where it is secreted in darkness and suppressed by light. It is also used to treat jetlag where it resets our internal clock when we travel by air across several time zones. Children have much higher melatonin levels than adults and sadly as we age it is dramatically reduced. Anti-aging specialists believe melatonin to be essential in slowing the aging process. Low levels of melatonin are also found in those individuals with sleep and depressive disorders. An interesting animal study further suggests that it may benefit women with endometriosis. This promising Turkish study, which appeared in Fertility and Sterility in 2008, noted that melatonin significantly shrunk endometriotic lesions in rats over a two-month period compared to rats that did not receive melatonin.
- Relieves nervousness
- Promotes deep, restful sleep
- Helps to reduce stress
- Stops night-time waking
- Helps to increase sleep time
- Helps to reset the body's sleep-wake cycle
- Helps to reduce the time it takes to fall sleep
Tips for a restful sleep
- Do not take stimulants (coffee, pop, tea) after 3 p.m.
- Do not exercise after work. Exercise in the morning.
- Do not eat a big meal after 7 p.m.
- Take MAGsmart at bedtime.
- Ensure that your room is free of light and your television is not left on while you sleep. Light inhibits melatonin production.
- Take a hot bath at bedtime. Add 2 cups (500 mL) Epsom salts and 1 cup (250 mL) baking soda along with essential oils of lavender or chamomile.
- To calm the nerves, put a tissue moistened with lavender essential oil inside your pillowcase at bedtime.
IngredientsEach capsule contains :
- Valerian (Valeriana officinalis L.) (Root) Extract (0.8% valerenic acid) 200 mg
- Hops (Humulus lupulus) (Strobile) Extract (4:1 from 200 mg hops) 50 mg
- Passionflower (Passiflora incarnata) (Herb top) Extract (10:1 from 500 mg passionflower) 50 mg
- Chamomile (Matricaria chamomilla) (Flower) Extract (4:1 from 200 mg chamomile) 50 mg
- Melatonin (Pineal gland, porcine) 3 mg